Wednesday, July 3, 2013

ABBA for adults

Guess I'm back.

Had a major experience this morning with the song "When All Is Said and Done" by ABBA. These things struck me:

This is quite a sad song to be in the mainstream (or at least in the mainstream in 1981).

Unlike earlier ABBA songs, this is for adults, not tweens who might swoon by "Dancing Queen."

Somehow the melody manages to be both poppy and elegiac at the same time. The lyrics are quite sober. There is no irony here--the intention is sincere. This is an adult and clear expression of sadness and emotional exhaustion, that is beautifully crafted.

Something for one to aspire to, not necessarily in the same genre, medium, or discipline.

Dear readers (all both of you), let me know what you think. (I can't watch the clip on this computer, so I'm not sure it works--if not, let me know.)
 

2 comments:

  1. Never heard that song before, but it's a sad as fuck tune with a nice poppy beat. Was that the "End Of The Road" farewell theme for that band?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was on the album "The Visitors, " which I think was the last complete album. (There were a couple of singles afterward.) I still think it's one of the greatest "divorce albums"--even up there with Richard & Linda Thompson's "Shoot Out the Lights."

    ReplyDelete